1. Consent – You are in the drivers seat, and we will not explore anything before you are ready. I may gently nudge you outside your comfort zone, but I will always respect your decision to proceed or pull back.
2. Curiosity – Developing our ability to be curious is one of the most important ingredients in healing. Being mindfully curious about what’s going on in your inner world allows you to develop a deeper understanding of who you are and where you want to be in your recovery journey.
3. Participation – Complex Trauma Recovery Coaching is not something I can do for you. It is something we both must be fully engaged in, and I will encourage you to be an active participant in your own healing. While I am there to support you all the way, ultimately you must take the steps forward.
4. Present-focused – Complex Trauma is a living legacy. Everything you need to heal is accessible in the present moment. Yes, stories from your past will inevitably come up. The most important component is how those stories are impacting you today that matters the most. We will be working with the here-and-now to help your brain and body release unconscious, stored memories from your life.
5. Neuro-Psychoeducation – I will share the neuro/psycho/bio/spiritual evidence based information with you. This can help you gain a better understanding of what the brain is driving, why you are experiencing certain things, and help you feel less alone whilst taking charge of your effective recovery.
6. Respect – Even your most destructive coping strategies were adopted for a good reason. While they may be outdated now, we still treat them with respect, because at one time they saved you from mental/emotional/physical/psychological pain. Understanding why you developed these coping strategies and how they served you in the past can help you release them in the present.
7. Transparency – I am always transparent about my process, and honest with you. If you want to know about my life, I am an open book. If you ask me for honest, direct feedback, I will provide it.
8. Emotional Safety is the core foundational need of Complex Trauma Recovery. Without it your brain stops you from having an effective recovery. We will always ensure you are emotionally safe and that you can speak up for what will and won’t work for you.