Self Regulation: What is it? Why is it important for Childhood Trauma Survivors? How do we apply it and What are the benefits? How is our brain development involved in the process and how do we create new neural pathways using Self Regulation?
Complex Ptsd: Developing Self Regulation
Are you experiencing …
- EmotionsAnxiety, sometimes crippling anxiety that shuts your day down. Depression that overflows into your daily life and you can’t get anything done. Being triggered, having emotional flashbacks and remaining in a triggered state all day.
- RelationshipsYou feel like you’re saying one thing and people are hearing a totally different conversation. You can find it hard to trust with the deepest of your emotions and trusting your decision making process can also be a challenge. You wonder why you end up feeling alone in a crowd.
- HealthYou’re finding your health is like an emotional rollercoaster. Briefly you’ll feel good, and then you’re sidelined by ill health for weeks at a time. It’s a struggle to be well constantly and consistently no matter what you try.
My Story: The Lack of Self Regulation
From Crippling Ill Health to a Functional LifeStanding in a large church one hot summer, the airconditioning functioning really well, I had perspiration dripping down my face and I had no clue how to stop it from happening, nor did I understand why it had begun. I could feel the anxiety running through my body and instinctively knew at any moment now I was going to start shaking and want to run for the door plus not be able to speak coherently i.e. my words were going to come out a jumbled mess. What I wouldn’t have given to know Self Regulation all those years ago. Instead, I taught myself how to take the one next step, how to manage these incidents and then eventually as a Trauma Coach I learnt how to understand the many facets of Self Regulation and to apply them daily. Why? Because there’s no use applying Self Regulation in the middle of a triggering episode if we haven’t practiced it beforehand. It has the potential to trigger us again as our brain treats can treat it as an unknown factor in our life, and trigger us all over again.
The fantastic news is once we learn how to Self Regulate we can move through triggers, emotional flashbacks, dissociation and not have our life and health interrupted continually. Self Regulation consists of a number of different factors. Each factor when identified in our individual life helps us wrap our mind around what is happening for us internally. Once our mind is wrapped around our internal process we can then very effectively apply tools that work for us and begin to break the cycles that keep us from living a full, healthy and whole life. Today I travel and have zero side effects from triggers, I can speak up and let others know what I need, I’m able to address depression quickly and identify dissociation easily and bring myself back into the now. Yes, it all sounds like a lot to take on, but the truth is when we learn and apply the different factors just one step at a time we find that over time our life has become increasingly healthier and we no longer have to prepare mentally in advance before we leave the house. Learning and applying Self Regulation is worth every moment of awareness, it’s priceless for our long term health and relationships.
- Understanding Self Regulation: Emotions
- Understanding Self Regulation: Feelings
- The Brain & Trauma Memories
- Essential Parts of Self Regulation
- What are Core Values?
- How to Handle an Emotional Response
- How Do I know I’m Dissociating?
- Our Window of Tolerance
- 8 Essentials for Self Soothing
- Learning How to Love Myself Internally
- Digital Worksheets for Self Reflection & Goals
- Pages of Instructions & Information to identify our Internal Process
- Questions to Reflect Daily Plus Worksheets
- How to Use the Workbook on Your Own & How to Use the Workbook with a Mental Health Professional
- The Science of Why we need to do this Work
Frequently Asked Questions
Here’s what You Need to Know
- When Is the Book Available? The book is available as a digital download now and is always available. The benefit of being online is you pace yourself, it literally fits into your daily life.
- How long do I have access to the book? How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this book for as long as you like – across any and all devices you own.
- Can I use the book whilst working with a Professional? Yes. Taking in your notes and observations to your Mental Health Care professional will help you progress through coaching/therapy.
“Neuroscience research shows that the only way we can change the way we feel is by becoming aware of our inner experience and learning to befriend what is going inside ourselves.”
Bessel A. van der Kolk